Panther Press

The Student News Site of Edwin O. Smith High School

Panther Press

Panther Press

Plenty of Tunes to Carry With Us In New Year

New Music Review 2023

Is it just me, or did a lot of great music come out in 2023? Considering we’re only a month or so into 2024, I figured I would review some of the new tunes released last year. Here are some of my favorite finds of 2023.

Cuts & Bruises (album) by Inhaler

Inhaler is an indie rock band from Dublin, made up of Elijah Hewson (vocals and guitar), Josh Jenkinson (lead guitar), Ryan McMahon (drums) and Robert Keating (bass). I discovered this band in March of 2023 and immediately fell in love with their music. They have currently released two albums — their debut, It Won’t Always Be Like This, and their sophomore album, Cuts & Bruises, which was released in February of last year. This album is fantastic, both sonically and lyrically. Each song is unique, but there seems to be a thread woven throughout all of them which perfectly ties the album together. I love the singles from this album, particularly “Love Will Get You There” and “These Are the Days,” but also later tracks like “Valentine,” which might be my favorite song from Cuts & Bruises. I admire bands that don’t seem to use a lot of autotune, and I think Inhaler is one of the relatively few. I went to an Inhaler concert over the summer, and they were just as incredible live as they are on the album.

“Spellbinding” (single) by The Smashing Pumpkins

The song “Spellbinding” by The Smashing Pumpkins (currently consisting of Billy Corgan, James Iha, and Jimmy Chamberlin) was released as a single ahead of their 2023 album ATUM: A Rock Opera in Three Acts. Personally, I found it to be the best number on the album, which came out in May of last year. The Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favorite bands, so I was naturally very excited to see that they were releasing a new album. The tracks definitely feature a new sound, but “Spellbinding” really caught my attention.

“Atomic City” (single) by U2

I’ve been a U2 fan since I was young, when my parents (who grew up listening to the band) would play their CDs during long car trips. I don’t think I really started to appreciate U2, though, until a few years ago. Their 2023 single, “Atomic City,” was really the first song I waited for as an avid fan. The day it was released, I watched the music video, which was filmed in Las Vegas on the same street as the video for “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” from U2’s 1987 album The Joshua Tree. It was cool to see “8 hours ago” under the title of the YouTube video and to see all of the comments from old and new U2 fans that had amassed during those mere eight hours. U2 continue to prove that the rock genre isn’t dead, and there is still a ready audience that will soak up every bit they can get. “Atomic City” is a great single with an anthemic melody and lyrics. Like in every U2 song, Bono provides effortlessly strong vocals, supported by a catchy drumbeat from Larry Mullen Jr. and bassline from Adam Clayton. And, of course, there are fantastic guitar sections, courtesy of The Edge. This song is certainly a U2 essential for anyone looking for an introduction to the band.

“Sometimes, I Swear” (single) by The Vaccines

Contrary to the name of this song, the lyrics are not explicit. “Sometimes, I Swear” by The Vaccines (Justin Hayward-Young, Timothy Lanham, Yoann Intonti, and Árni Árnason) was a single released in 2023 prior to the release of their 2024 album Pick-Up Full of Pink Carnations. I especially love the lyrics in this song, which I find quite relatable. Plus, it’s a good one to belt out.

“Now and Then” (single) by The Beatles

“Now and Then” by The Beatles was one of the biggest musical surprises of 2023. The single closes out this beloved rock-n-roll band’s career with a bittersweet melody and lyrics. Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr used old Beatles demos to create this masterpiece. The final Beatles song wouldn’t be complete without John Lennon and George Harrison, whose music featured on the track with the help of audio restoration technology.

Rebel Diamonds (album) by The Killers

Until the last few months of 2023, I had really only known The Killers (Brandon Flowers—vocals, Dave Keuning—guitar, Mark Stoermer—bass, Ronnie Vannucci Jr—drums) for their hit song “Mr. Brightside” and the commotion that song causes when it’s played at school dances. However, my sister recently introduced me to a few other songs by The Killers, and I was instantly hooked. Ironically, in December, The Killers released a greatest hits album, Rebel Diamonds. Throughout their career, The Killers have touched on a variety of sounds, and that shows on this collection. For me, a few standout tracks were “When You Were Young,” “Read My Mind,” “Human,” “The Man,” and “Pressure Machine,” and I still have yet to explore all of this phenomenal band’s other albums.